Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cause ALL the cool kids are doin' it.

For a while I resisted creating a blog.  Sure I once would have "journal entries" on LiveJournal, but I barely ever read my friend's post there and have long since abandoned posting anything on my own.  Even when I did post anything, it was locked to all but a few friends I deemed worthy of reading.
Facebook is really what sounded the death knell for LiveJournal.  It monopolized my time with it's fun inter-activeness and the occasional addictive application.  Sometime during my facebook frenzy I decided to add a twitter account.  I resisted that too.  I saw no need to have yet another Social Medium in which I would read the same exact things my friends already journaled and posted as a Facebook status.

But go to Twitter I did.  Once there again, I protected my tweets.  I would tweet now and again and got little joy out of it.  There would be some hashtag games that I found fun... such as #BroadwayMusicalMashups and the like.  After the buzz of those wore off, I often left my account to collect virtual dust.

Then one day, HE joined Twitter.  For a while before this, I thought about unlocking my tweets so that I could interact with the world at large but never was the idea so tempting as when HE joined. The HE is Journalist and Host of Countdown Keith Olbermann.  One might not suspect that this man, who is many years my senior and perhaps not who most think of as a sex symbol could be the person who would make me invoke the all cap HE but, KO (as I like to call him) has been "my boyfriend" for years now.... even if he doesn't know it. PLEASE, don't get me wrong.  I am not a stalker, I am not a psycho. I have no delusions that we are actually an item.  That doesn't stop me from referring to him as "mine" to all of my friends, and hushing them when HE is on the television and saying, "Please, let MY Keith speak." HE comes, silver-haired, impeccably dressed to my living room every night Monday through Friday. HE reads the news in a way that not only gets me interested, it keeps me interested.  His sense of humor and cheeky nods to the camera fill me with a giddy glee as if HE were telling me a joke that only "we" understand.  More than all of that, his special comments spoke so passionately about so many beliefs and outrages being perpetuated in this country.  When I felt my own voice was being stifled, his was loud and strong and speaking more eloquently than I ever could.


So, there it was.. there HE was.  I noticed HE was there when my friend Maddie started following him.  I think the debate to unlock my tweets was all but over.  As I told her, he held the key to my virtual chastity belt of tweets.  The deed was done and I was unlocked.  It was a day or so of giddyness as I started to mention celebrities in my tweets. John Cusack being my first response, I nearly died.  One night I mentioned KO in a tweet, HE answered... then HE followed me.  It would, in fact, be an exaggeration to say that was the best day of my life, but it made me WAY happier than something such as that ever should.  His mention of me, plus follow, equalled  a surge in people following me, people I never met before.  I don't have huge numbers by any means, but days before I think I had about 25.

Twitter has become alive for me.  Sure I feel like a bit of a voyeur but, I am kinda getting used to that.  So many of the people I talk to have their own blogs, so I decided to try my hand at one too. I know how much I can talk and sometimes a tweet just doesn''t cut it. It may be challenging for me, as I have finally become accustomed to being brief... 140 character brief.  Part of the inspiration also has come from Roger Ebert who, by following him, has linked me to many wonderful blogs out there. 

I can't make you any promises of what this blog will be. I am not a writer, I speak from my heart, I often add commas where there should be no commas.  My punctuation may leave something to be desired. What my intention is, is that it will help me peel off the layers of guardedness that I put up for some time. Some entries may be fluff, some may be days when I need to be talked down from a ledge (not literally) in any case, I hope that I can learn something about myself and that I can share a little something with those of you who decide to read it.

7 comments:

  1. Great first entry. I laughed. I cried. I faschmeckled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Welcome to the club!

    And of all the people to be crushing on. . .a talking head. . .priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, the maker of "The Keith & I" portraiture approve of this message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dash it all, Jamie, I just created a WordPress blog, I'm not switching to Blogspot! Luckily I can leave comments anyway. Twin Comics is on Blogspot though so you can add them!

    By the way, MY boyfriend David Tennant thinks it would be nice to have lunch with you and YOUR boyfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, keep it coming! Because you know I am addicted (not to Keith Olbermann) but to your brilliance! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete